Friday, May 13, 2011

The Decay of Time


A few years ago I read a rather haunting book about abandoned buildings decaying and being destroyed by time. The photographs and stories behind the images have stuck with me. Today we went to visit an overlook and a beautiful waterfall near our home and while there I noticed a boarded up abandoned walkway around the canyon.
My husband remarked how precarious it looked and we could recognize footsteps in the mud near it. The steps are overgrown with weeds and the guard rail hangs above the chasm. Yet I felt a strange yearning to find a way to follow those footsteps and see a glimpse of the past. The fence and the DO NOT ENTER sign stopped me. I guess I will live vicariously through the beautiful images of Harry Skrdla's book, Ghostly Ruins: America's Forgotten Architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment