Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Between the Aisles and the Salmonella

Grocery shopping always has a little risk inherent in it. First, there is the threat of microbes lurking on the carts themselves, ready to infect your body. Then as you are walking the aisles piled high with heavy cans there is the danger of one falling upon you. Believe me it happens. And as if you haven't put your future on the line enough there is the danger within the products you purchase. You read the labels furtively watching out for high fructose corn syrup and trans fat. And if you have an allergy you have to watch to see if it was manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts.
I hate grocery shopping but each week I look at my nearly empty shelves and either convince Bradley to do it or lose paper, scissors, rock. Today I lost. With my son by my side I walked the produce aisle picking out fruit and veggies and thinking about salmonella. Suddenly the noise volume increased significantly. I looked up to discover a wall of people filing into the store. They were coming towards the produce section and I started to look around for a quick exit.
Then a nice gentlemen turned to me and told me they had come to check out the local college. I wasn't trampled. They even moved out of my way as I pushed my cart out of the produce and into the cereal aisle.
I survived this trip to get my fix of spinach and honey dew. However I am going to ask Bradley to take his turn next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment